Children & Families

If you’re going through a divorce, relationship breakdown or are in dispute regarding visitation rights, schooling or residency our team of Family Law solicitors can help you and your family to move forwards. We will work with you to get the best outcome for your children and personal circumstances.

Family Law Solicitors - Father and Son Forest - Nash & Co Solicitors

What to expect

Changes in family structure and relationships can be upsetting and difficult. However, it’s all too easy for children to become an unwilling pawn between warring parents. The effects of this can be long-lasting. This is why our Family Law solicitors take a non-combative, sensitive and empathetic approach.

At Nash & Co Solicitors, we strongly believe that in these situations, your child’s welfare comes first. We pride ourselves on placing your child(ren) at the forefront of everything we do. This allows us to actively work towards minimising the impact upon them at every stage of the process. We work closely with our clients so that we can learn about your individual situation. We’ll then make sure that our legal advice is tailored to you and your circumstances. Whether you need legal advice on a father’s rights to his child, are pursuing child support and maintenance, residence, guardianship or visitation and access rights, Nash & Co Solicitors are here to help you.

It’s sometimes difficult to agree on aspects of parenting even when you live together as a family. This can become considerably more difficult when the parental relationship has broken down. It does not need to be like this. Our aim is always to prioritise the welfare of the children and to try to find ways of reaching agreement over parenting issues wherever possible.”
Eleanor Barber, Partner

Welfare checklist explained

Once we’ve got an insight into your situation, we can advise you of how your circumstances will be viewed in light of the ‘Welfare Checklist’ used by the Court. The factors within this checklist attract a different ‘priority’, depending on the circumstances. They include:

  • The wishes and feelings of the child
  • Their physical and emotional needs
  • Their general welfare and any risks to them
  • The ability of parents and other carers to provide the level of care required

Our team of Family Law solicitors strive to achieve the right outcome for you and your family. This is achieved whilst minimising conflict and difficulty. We also work with grandparents who have been denied access to their grandchildren. Working to help them to apply to the Court, in order to be able to spend time with their grandchildren and rebuild relationships.

Request a callback from Nash & Co Solicitors

Contact us – Family Law Solicitors in Plymouth

At Nash & Co Solicitors, we have one of the largest and most experienced, knowledgeable, and talented Family Law teams in the area. Our team are members of the Law Society’s Children Panel, meaning they have the experience to deal with all matters of Children’s Law. We have a deep understanding of this sensitive area of law and can explain legal issues to you and your children in jargon-free, plain English.

If you’re in need of some legal advice about child custody, residency and access, child welfare or parental responsibility, please call Eleanor Barber. You can also speak to a member of our Family Law Team. Eleanor’s email address is [email protected] or you can call her on 01752 827030.

Frequently Asked Questions
Do you offer a free half hour initial appointment?

No, we don’t offer a free half-hour initial appointment as we have found that this type of appointment rarely gives clients real help or assistance. In half an hour, we would only be able to take from you the bare outline details and there would be no time to give you anything but the most basic advice, which would not cover the specific details of your case. We believe that to be able to take your information fully and to be able to give you advice that will actually help you, we need a lot longer than half an hour!

Firms that offer a free half-hour appointment are using it to ‘hook’ new clients and a second appointment, at full price, will almost certainly have to be booked before you can give full information and receive any sort of detailed advice.  We understand that you do not want to be limited to half an hour when seeking expert legal advice and therefore we offer a reduced-price initial appointment for £150 plus VAT.  This appointment will take around an hour or so and after the meeting, we will send you a detailed attendance note, confirming the information provided by you and our advice, setting out your options, the necessary steps and cost estimates.

This is not about us making money. We want to offer the very best service to all our clients, and we strongly believe that a free half-hour appointment does not allow us to do that. We want you to leave your initial meeting feeling that you have been able to fully explain the issues and having received clear and detailed advice about your legal situation and the options available to you.

Do you offer fixed fees?

We understand that knowing what your costs are going to be is very important.  We offer fixed fees for divorce / civil partnership dissolution. We can also agree a fixed fee for the preparation of a Separation Agreement, Financial Consent Order or Pre-Marital Agreement once we know what the issues to be covered are.

With other matters, such as financial negotiations arising from relationship breakdown or disputes about children, it is not possible to agree a fixed fee, as it is rarely sufficiently clear from the outset what all the issues will be. We do however break your likely costs down into stages, telling you how much each individual stage is likely to cost before you embark on that stage if possible.

We will send you regular bills and update cost estimates where appropriate to ensure that you have the best information available to help you understand and budget for your costs.

Can I get Legal Aid?

There have been significant changes to the availability of legal aid for family matters, however, it can still be available when dealing with some aspect of family law, if you can prove your status as a victim of domestic violence or if Social Services have concerns about the safety of your children.

In order to prove your eligibility, there are a number of standard letters provided by the Legal Aid Agency which can assist you. Please click the link below to see what evidence will be accepted by the Legal Aid Agency. You cannot apply for legal aid without an ‘evidence letter’ if you are seeking assistance with divorce or children matters. Should you be seeking legal aid in relation to protection from domestic violence an ‘evidence letter’ will not be necessary.

As well as the above evidence, you will need to be assessed as financially eligible for legal aid. Please use the online eligibility calculator to give you an indication as to whether you may be financially eligible. This will assist you in knowing whether legal aid may be an option.

Once you have obtained one of the standard ‘evidence letters’ from a professional, and have checked your financial eligibility, please give us a call to discuss making an appointment.

Do I have to go to Mediation?

If intending to issue an application to Court for an Order relating to children or an Order relating to matrimonial finances there is an expectation that you will have attempted mediation before your application can be issued at Court. There are limited exceptions where attendance at mediation is not necessary, however in most cases it will be necessary to attend at least a first mediation meeting, known as a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting (MIAM).

How long does a divorce take?

As a rule of thumb, a divorce can take between 4 and 6 months from the date that the petition is lodged with the Court but it very much depends upon the complexity of the issues and how much co-operation there is between the parties.

We do work towards bringing about a conclusion as soon as possible for our clients as we recognise that it is an incredibly difficult time for them. However, each case will turn on its individual facts and it is difficult to know how long a divorce will take before the particular circumstances of the case are known.  We recommend that anyone considering divorce makes an appointment with one of our specialist solicitors to come to the office to discuss matters where a time estimate can then be provided.

Will I have to sell my home?

It is not always the position that family home will have to be sold following separation but this will depend upon the financial circumstances of the parties.

It is very uncommon for both parties to remain living in the same property following separation and so, it would seem fairly inevitable that one of the parties will have to move from the property but this does not necessarily mean that the property will have to be sold.

In cases involving children, as long as it is financially possible, every effort is made to ensure that children do remain in their home to provide stability and security for them at what is, for the whole family, a very difficult time.

We recommend that anyone concerned about what would happen to their property following separation makes an appointment to come in and meet with one of our specialist solicitors for further detailed advice.

Do I have parental responsibility?

Parental Responsibility is all the rights, duties, powers, responsibilities and authority which by law a parent of a child has in relation to the child and his/her property.

Mothers automatically have parental responsibility. Fathers can obtain parental responsibility by satisfying one of the below:-

  • jointly registering the birth of the child with the mother (from 1 December 2003)
  • getting a parental responsibility agreement with the mother
  • getting a parental responsibility order from a court
  • married to the child’s mother (this does not give step-parents parental responsibility)
Will I have to go to court?

For a straightforward, undefended divorce you will not need to attend Court.

Where you cannot reach an agreement and you have to issue an application to Court, for example, to resolve the consequent financial issues arising out of your divorce or in relation to a dispute regarding children, then Court attendance will be necessary.

Service Guides