Slips, Trips and Falls

Have you had a slip, trip or fall in a public place? Have you suffered an injury as a result? If the answers are yes, you could be entitled to compensation. 

We can help you make a claim and get you the compensation that you deserve.

Here at Nash & Co Solicitors in Plymouth, we have a friendly and experienced team of personal injury lawyers who are ready to answer any questions that you may have.

no win no fee


How do I make a claim for a slip, trip or fall?

The first step to making a claim for compensation is to get in touch with our specialist personal injury lawyers for a free initial discussion about the circumstances of your accident. 

Slip, trips and falls can occur in a number of different circumstances, these can include:

  • Slipping in a supermarket on a spillage
  • Tripping on an uneven or broken paving slab
  • Falling down a staircase due to inadequate lighting
  • Falling from a height on a walkway or ramp
  • Slipping in a public swimming pool on an inadequate floor surface
  • Tripping on an obstruction left on a path or walkway

Who is responsible for my slip, trip or fall?

The owner or occupier of a public place is responsible for ensuring that public spaces and facilities are reasonably safe.

A slip, trip or fall can happen in a number of different places, including;

  • Supermarkets and shops
  • Sports facilities
  • Public parks and playgrounds
  • Schools
  • Private businesses

We can use our expert knowledge to find out who is responsible for your injury.

personal injury, personal injury lawyers, personal injury solicitors,

What types of injury can I claim for?

Injuries from trips, slips or falls can vary from minor to life changing.

Sometimes you can initially dismiss your injury as being quite minor and insignificant. However, even a minor injury can have lasting effects.

Whether you’ve suffered bruising and cuts, a sprain or a broken bone, we’re here to help and advise you with your accident claim.

slip, trip and fall
personal injury, personal injury lawyers, personal injury solicitors

How long do I have to make a claim following a slip, trip or fall?

You typically have three years from the date of your accident to make a claim.

However, there are some exceptions to this rule. The best advice is to speak to us as soon as possible.

We will prioritise gathering valuable evidence that may increase the chances of your claim being successful.

Typically, in slip, trip or fall claims, taking photographs of the premises or the defect can be very helpful. In addition, applying as early as possible for CCTV footage can also be key to a successful claim.  There may be witnesses to your accident who we can contact.  Sometimes, the opportunity to obtain valuable evidence can be lost as time goes by.

Don’t delay getting in touch with us as this could reduce your chances of recovering compensation. We’re here to help and support you.

How much compensation can I claim for a slip, trip or fall injury?

The amount of compensation that you can expect depends on your injuries and the impact those injuries have on your life.

Even if you have the same injury as someone else, you are unlikely to receive the same amount as your life circumstances will differ. 

Because of this, it’s really important to instruct an experienced personal injury lawyer for your slip, trip or fall because we know how to maximise the compensation you can receive for your injuries.

personal injury

What can a compensation payment include?

Your compensation payment can cover expenses that you may not have thought about.  A specialist personal injury lawyer will know what you can claim to maximise your compensation.

Every slip, trip or fall claim is different.  We tailor our advice to you.  We’ll consider factors such as;

  • Pain and suffering – we can advise on the financial value of your injury based on medical evidence that we will obtain for you.
  • Loss of earnings – loss of pay, overtime, bonuses and pension contributions in the past and in the future.  We also look at whether you can return to your previous job and the effects on your future employability due to the accident.
  • Rehabilitation – we can arrange for the involvement of a rehabilitation specialist who can specifically target your needs for your recovery.
  • Treatment – we can obtain interim payments that can pay for further surgery or medical procedure or equipment that are delayed or unavailable on the NHS.
  • Adaptations – your injury may mean that you need to adapt your home or vehicle in order to continue to live your life as fully as possible.
  • Day to day expenses – costs from travel, parking and prescriptions can add up over time.  Keeping a diary of appointments and keeping hold of receipts and tickets can help when it comes to recovering compensation for your expenses.
  • Care – care expenses can be included even if that care is provided by a friend or family member in your home.

Get in touch with us to discuss the potential payments that could apply to your slip, trip or fall claim.

How long will to take to receive compensation?

The timings in your slip, trip or fall claim can depend on a number of factors. 

The extent of your injuries may mean that you need to undergo surgery or rehabilitation.  Your opponent may accept responsibility at an early stage or they may deny responsibility.

A claim can take a number of years to reach a conclusion. We understand that this can cause difficulties especially if you are losing income.  Financial insecurity can be a huge worry for our clients.

In some cases, we can request an interim payment for you which can help to reduce financial worries caused by your slip, trip or fall. For instance, it can also be used to pay for private treatment to get you back to work.  An interim payment is made before the conclusion of your claim. This can be particularly helpful if you have suffered from serious injuries as these cases typically take longer to reach a final conclusion.

Request a callback from Nash & Co Solicitors

How much does it cost to make a claim?

Most claims we take on, are a no win no fee arrangement.

Nash & Co won’t ask you to make any upfront costs and you won’t pay a penny out of your own pocket.

We understand that you wouldn’t make a claim if there is a risk that you could be worse off.

In our free initial consultation, we can explain in more detail how your claim could be funded and answer any questions that you may still have.

Find out more

Have you looked through our Guide to Claiming Compensation for Accidents in Public Places? We have packed this with answers to the most commonly asked questions.

If you have suffered an injury due to a slip, trip or fall, please get in touch with us. Our team of expert personal injury claims lawyers will advise you, at no charge, if you have a claim.

Get in touch with Mike Shiers or one of his team by calling 01752 827085 or emailing [email protected]

Alternatively, you can request a call back from a member of our accident claims team by submitting our contact form.