Employment Tribunal Refunds

Category: Personal Employment

All eligible applicants can now apply for Employment Tribunal fees refunds to be paid between 29 July 2013 to 26 July 2017.

Applications can be made online or by downloading the relevant form and sending it by email or post to Her Majesty’s Courts and Tribunals Service (HMCTS).

There are three different forms: the first for Claimants who paid fees in respect of their own claims, the second for applicants who paid fees in respect of other people’s claims (eg trade unions) and the third for those who were ordered by the Employment Tribunal to pay another party’s fees (such as a lead Claimant).

If HMCTS agrees that a refund is due the amount will be transferred to the applicant’s bank account plus 0.5% interest.

Claim by clicking on one of the following links.

  • Claim a refund online (link to employmenttribunals.service.gov.uk), available to most single claimants. Alternatively one can use one of the following pdf forms to post or email in a claim:
  • Refund form 1C (link to gov.uk) – for those who were the single Claimant in an Employment Tribunal claim, eg an employee who brought a tribunal claim against their employer. (At the time of writing, the Form Title on the webpage says ‘Application for refund of Employment Tribunal fees form for respondents’, but it is actually for Claimants.)
  • Refund form 2R (link to gov.uk) – for the Respondent in an Employment Tribunal claim, eg an employer which had a tribunal claim brought against it.
  • Refund form 3S (link to gov.uk) – for persons who were representatives or sponsors of a party to an Employment Tribunal claim, and for persons who were the lead claimant in a multiple claim.